Do you struggle losing weight, feel good and be healthy?
Want to know more on the link between weight problems and chronic disease?
The sad statistics
A recent study published in the journal Frontiers of Public Health* suggests up to 76% of the world’s population is overfat – meaning that they have excessive body fat to impair health - even if their weight might be considered as normal but they have high abdominal fat. This represents an astounding 5.5 billion people and includes many people who exercise regularly and even compete in sports. It’s estimated that up to 49% of the world’s population, or 3.5 billion people, are obese or overweight according to the traditional body-mass index (BMI), which measures the relationship between weight and height – not a direct measure of real body fat.
Closer to Home - The Malaysian Landscape:Malaysia is one of the fattest countries in Asia. Aligned with the global numbers, almost half of the population is considered overweight or obese according to World Health Organization (WHO). Also, there is a high correlation between overweight and chronic diseases (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol,…) and mental health (e.g. anxiety, depression, …). So, it doesn't come as a big surprise that Malaysia also has also the highest rate of diabetes in Asia and one of the highest in the world. Dr Mustaffa Embong, executive chairman of the National Diabetes Institute (Nadi) said in early 2018 that there are about 2.5 million adults with diabetes in Malaysia, aged 18 and above.But this does not need to be like, it is reversible!
Health and well-being are highly depending of lifestyle choices!
Today, it is well recognized that a high percentage of the obesity and chronic disease epidemic is not genetic but behaviorally-linked (or epigenetic).The choices about nutrition, sleeping habits, physical activities, mind hygiene, and so on… are all known contributing factors to health and well-being.So, why are we in the middle of this global epidemic crisis of obesity and poor health if the causes of issues are known? In my opinion, there are 2 main reasons:
- There are a lot of myths and misleading information propagated by the huge food industry, fitness & healthcare lobbies, which creates confusion on what to do and how to do it.
- Changing behaviors to develop positive habits is hard!
Therefore, many people don’t know HOW to change their behaviors and sustain them over time. Have you never heard that more than 90 % of New Year resolutions fail only a few weeks after they have been made? That is where a holistic health coach and a holistic approach to health and well-being can help!
My role as holistic health coach
As a holistic health coach my role is:
- To clarify the overwhelming and sometimes misleading information available to identify the potential areas of improvements.
- To help individuals prioritize and develop positive habits and routines to move the needle in the right direction of weight loss, increased health and well-being.(e.g. give tips, teach proven techniques, help to keep accountability, etc…).
- To help individuals understand the links between their different behaviors. Everything is interrelated and what people do and how they do it in the different areas of their lives has an impact on the others areas.For example, one can start a physical activity that is not adapted for his current level of fitness and/or overdo it. This can generate too much stress for the body and mind and lead to injuries, bad nutrition choices and impact sleep negatively. One has to understand the different interactions between his various health habits and perceive it as a holistic transformation in order to move forward towards total well-being.
Tao of Weight Loss™: Redesign your lifestyle for effortless weight loss & vibrant health.
Tao of Weight loss™ is a holistic program particularly designed for people who want to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable way and who want to feel good and in harmony with themselves to live a vibrant life. Tao of Weight loss™ participants want to be:
- Physically fitter & healthier
- Full of positive energy to accomplish the meaningful and important activities of their life
- More connected with themselves
- Happier with how they look and how they feel.
During this program, we go through 3 stages:
- Understand what to do and prioritize the actions,
- Act on them consistently and learn from the experience what work the best for them
- Make them integrant part of their life.Many people don't get the results they want because they are destroying the harmony by their unsuited behaviors because they follow some of the myths conveyed by the giants lobbies or because they omit to see the interconnection of their behaviors in the bigger picture of their overall life.
How this program will transform you?
Typically, the people who will benefit the most are:
- Individuals who are noticing that their 20s are over and they want to stop the negative vicious circle of adding extra weight every year, feeling more lethargic, having more difficulties to wake up in the morning, …
- Individuals who are close or already entered the chronic disease markers and want to adapt their lifestyle to be healthier and live longer
- Young mothers who want to lose the few kilos gained during pregnancy and help coping with the fatigue and stress of motherhood
- Individuals who had a surgery or a health issue that prevented them from exercising and want to reintroduce and sustain fitness in a health in their life.
In a healthy and sustainable way
Ability to recognize myths
To make better lifestyle related decisions
Increased life satisfaction
E.g. self-confidence, contement
Improved blood test results
E.g. -blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure
And related anxiety, worries,
mood disorder, better sleep
Increased life expectancy
By doing the right things in a holistic way
Increased brain concentration
Better clarity and focus
Increase vibrant energy
Boosted and more stable energy level
Improved immune system
Less frequent sickness and for shorter duration
“We first make our habits, and then our habits make us.” John Dryden
Tao of Weight Loss ™
Approach & content of this program
Tao of Weight Loss™ has a typical duration of 6 months - 12 sessions
(This is an indication. It will vary depending of specific personal goals and needs).
The first session consists on an interview and a questionnaire to understand better 1) your current situation “holistically” related to your lifestyle in the different areas of your life and how everything interconnects 2) your specific goals and/or help you clarifying them
Each follow-up session will typically be every 2 weeks either face to face or remote by video call.
During each session we will:
- Assess the progresses since the last session, the challenges faced, and your remaining questions on the topic. Are you doing what you need to progress with your goals? What is preventing you to do it? Is there any additional resources you need? Do you need help to unlock your inner potential?
- Determining the next action plan related to the same area of your life and/or new actions in another areas of your life that has been identified as a key enabler for the holistic transformation to take place. It might be related to exercise, stress generators in your life, nutrition issues, sleeping issues or any other area that has a significant potential impact to move the needle in the right direction for weight loss and/or vibrant health. Between the sessions, we will have some regular short interactions for me to share additional resources and to reinforce the motivation.
What You will get for your investment?
Tao of Weight Loss™ program includes…
- Training & coaching sessions of 1.5 hours focused on specific identified areas of improvement. (number of sessions will vary depending of personal goals and needs)
- The program Logbook to help journaling personal experience, follow up weight loss and health indicators progress and to be used as a coaching support for the duration of the program.
- Regular interactions to share additional resources e.g. reading material, videos, apps for additional facts & details about the science
Director at Hastings